A dash of lifestyle, beauty, fashion and a bit of everything!

Saturday 12 November 2016

A Classic: Fairy Cakes





 

I find baking to be very therapeutic - I like to put some calming music on in the background ('Music For Concentration' on Spotify is my favourite by the way), put an apron on and get to it. The kitchen is usually a mess by the end of it (sorry Mum!) but it's worth it!

The recipe I used for this came from Mary Berry's book '100 Cakes and Bakes' (of course I had to use something from Mary, or Bezza as I like to call her). You will need the following:

  • 100g (4oz) of Softened Butter
  • 100g (4oz) of Caster Sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 175g (6oz) flour
  • A drop of water
  • 1 level teaspoon of Baking Powder
  • 1 level teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
For the icing, you will need:
  • 175g (6oz) of butter
  • 175g (6oz) of caster sugar
To make these cakes, start by laying out your ingredients. You will need a large mixing bowl, a wooden spoon and a set of scales. Place the butter in the scales, weight and pour into a bowl, then add the sugar then cream. Once this is nice and smooth, add an egg, then frantically mix with flour (half of the portion), then repeat with the second. 

As it is fairy cakes, that's basically it - nice and simple. Shove it into the oven for 15-20 minutes, then leave to cool for around half an hour. Then we get to the fun bit - the wings! Cut in a circular motion on the top, take them off, then cut them in half. You can put whatever you like in the filling really - I opt for jam and buttercream, nice and traditional. Then pop the wings on top and you're done!

I'm aware that this is a very simple recipe, but I feel that there is still a place in many British hearts for a few classic recipes - this one should not be forgotten, as it's still delicious! 

Let me know what you enjoy baking below and if you have tried this recipe before.

Katy x






Share:

6 comments

  1. I love baking too, it's so soothing and you have a tasty end result too!
    Your butterfly cakes look delious x

    Jazziepickles xoxo
    Www.jazziepickles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I completely agree! When I'm free, I always bake haha. Thank you x

      Delete
  2. Ah love this - they look so yum! x

    www.stylepetal.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes they were delicious hehe x

      Delete
  3. Yum! I'll have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do try them, I promise you won't regret it! x

      Delete

© Chocolate Chatterbox | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig